Thursday, September 16, 2010

MLK Pompano Beach: Vacant Land

Vacant land in the inner city is not a good sign, and that is why I focus on it as part of my systematic review of an MLK Blvd.

In Pompano Beach, it is hard to tell what the vacant land is an indicator of, but here are just 12 of the pictures that I took on September 14, 2010. Trust me when I tell you that there were far more than just 12 vacant patches of land.

The photos are grouped in fours and you can click on a grouping to enlarge it. Also, if you see a building and think I made a mistake by including it as "vacant land," simply look behind or beside the building to see the vacant lot(s).

(More to read after the photos.)




More than anything else, vacant land represents to me the residual effects of "white flight," which is what gave rise to the pejorative use of the term "inner city" in the first place. Everybody who had the means fled to the suburbs to raise their children in a single-family detached home with a yard and a dog.

I will create a separate post as a reference for "white flight" later, but for now, if you have not read my post on "white privilege" and how it was perpetuated by "complicity," then take a moment to read up on that to better understand why an MLK Blvd would inherently have a lot of vacant lots along it.

For now, suffice it to say that apartment living and transit were originally NOT part of the plan for the suburbs. In other words, moving to the suburbs meant having a down payment for a house and a car. That is why the words "white flight" and not "country living" are more accurate.

Indexing for This Topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment